CHARLESTON, WV (WOAY) – West Virginia’s Higher Education Policy Commission and Community and Technical College System have awarded $85,000 in grants to support strengthened diversity efforts at higher education institutions across the state. The Diversity for Equity Grants are designed to support campus-led initiatives that make higher education more accessible to people of all ages, races, genders, and backgrounds.
“This grant program has been in place for nearly a decade, and it remains so important today as we work to embrace diversity in higher education and level the playing field for educational success in West Virginia,” said Sarah Armstrong Tucker, West Virginia’s Chancellor of Higher Education. “I am grateful to these institutions for working creatively and diligently to promote equity in educational outcomes for diverse populations of students, and I look forward to doing even more to support equal opportunities for student success at campuses statewide.”
Examples of funded project activities include: implementing peer mentoring programs; establishing campus diversity committees; facilitating diversity-oriented student projects and research opportunities; providing academic course enhancements and supplemental educational materials; and, conducting various diversity trainings and presentations for students, faculty, and staff.
The following institutions will receive between $2,000-$5,000 for their individual projects.
- Blue Ridge Community and Technical College: “Active Minds”
- BridgeValley Community and Technical College: “Understanding Diverse Populations”
- Concord University: “Concord University Diversity for Equity”
- Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College: “Human Growth”
- Fairmont State University: “At the Elders’ Feet: Conversations across the Generations”
- Marshall University: “LSAMP Cultural and Research Experiences, Programs and Initiatives”
- Mountwest Community and Technical College: “MCTC Diversity and Inclusion Instructional Change Agents and Racial Bias Training”
- New River Community and Technical College: “Creating and Training a College-wide Diversity Committee”
- Shepherd University: “Diversity for Equity Grant” and “WISE (Wisdom Inspires Student Excellence)”
- Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College: “ONESouthern Campaign”
- West Liberty University: “Race Relations and Black History Month”
- West Virginia Northern Community College: “Remember the Ladies, and Inspiration to Overcome”
- West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine: “Developing Effective Allyship”
- West Virginia State University: “Achievements through Collaboration”
- West Virginia University: “Anti-racist and Gender-inclusive Safe Zone Training”
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg: “OPEN: Opening Pathways to Equity Now, Peer Facilitation Initiative”
- WVU Potomac State College: “Diversity Peer Academy”