UNION, WV (WOAY) – In the past month, the Monroe County Health Department has had three confirmed cases of rabies in the Pickaway, Zenith, and Hollywood areas.
Rabies is transmitted from animal to human when the individual comes into contact with the saliva and/or has been scratched/bitten by a rabid animal.
Please use caution when you go outdoors and follow these steps below:
- Do not approach wildlife animals
- Avoid contact with unfamiliar domestic animals
- Keep your pets up to date on their rabies vaccine
- Store animal food indoors to prevent attracting animals
- Ensure all outdoor trashcans have a tight-fitting lid
If you come into contact with an animal that you think has rabies, please contact your health care provider immediately.
Symptoms of rabies in animals are:
- Behavior changes
- Drooling and/or foaming from the mouth
- Appearance of choking
- Loss of balance, staggering
For more information, please contact the Monroe County Health Department at 304-772-3064.