BECKLEY, WV (WOAY) – The City of Beckley has announced the opening of the Exhibition Coal Mine for their 58th season. As with many things this year, the tours will be somewhat different.
They aren’t able to have underground tours of the mine but they have created a video that small groups can watch. Although the experience won’t be quiet the same it is still as educational. And they still have veteran miners on site to speak with our visitors and answer their questions.”
The small mine museum, coal camp, Youth Museum and the Mountain Homestead are also open.
Their priority is to protect and support all visitors and staff. They are working hard to incorporate all of the safety measures to assure everyone’ comfort and confidence while visiting the Exhibition Coal Mine and Youth Museum.
The following is a list of guidelines and tips forvisitors:
• Advance tickets are not required for visitors.
• There will be no underground tours of the Mine. In lieu, a video will be available to watch.
• The Mine Museum, Coal Camp, Youth Museum and Mountain Homestead are open.
• Everyone is expected to follow social distancing requirements.
• Maximum capacity will be limited and visitors may experience a short wait for admittance.
• Face masks are required for all visitors ages 2 and older (unless medically unable to wear a mask)
• Please check our prices – they have changed to reflect the modifications of the attraction.
• Please check our hours – they have changed.
• If you are not feeling well, please stay home.
The Youth Museum, is currently hosting the exhibition, Curious George: Let’s Get Curious.
Curious George: Let’s Get Curious was funded in part by the West Virginia Commission on the Arts.The exhibit, which was designed, developed and built by Minnesota Children’s Museum in partnership with Universal Studios Consumer Products Group, encourages children’s natural curiosity as they explore early science, math and engineering through hands-on play.
New admission fees –
ADULTS: $10.00 (ages 18 – 54)
CHILDREN: $5.00 (ages 4 – 17)
SENIOR ADULT: $10.00 (55 & over)
The Exhibition Coal Mine and the Youth Museum are located in the New River Park. Hours are Wednesday – Sunday 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. For more information, check the website at www.beckley.org and click on the Exhibition Coal Mine or the Youth Museum link or call 304-256-1747.