Firefighters respond to house fire caused by vent

MABSCOTT, WV (WOAY) – Firefighters quickly put out a blaze caused by a vent that caught fire.

Dispatchers say the call came in around 6:53 p.m. after the ceiling vent in the bathroom caught fire. The incident happened on Red Bud Drive.

Mabscott, Sophia Area and Sophia City fire departments responded along with Jan Care. There were no injuries.

Kassie Simmons
Kassie Simmons joined the team in January 2019 as a weekend journalist. She graduated from Virginia Tech in just two and a half years with a BA in multimedia journalism. During her short time at Virginia Tech, she served as the editor for the university’s chapter of The Tab. Kassie was named the top reporter for The Tab at Virginia Tech on multiple occasions and made the list for the top 30 reporters for The Tab in the U.S. She also studied theater performance and minored in creative writing. Before coming to WOAY, Kassie interned at WSLS in Roanoke and the Tidewater Review in her hometown of West Point, Va. She has loved following breaking news since her childhood and has a passion for delivering the stories people care most about. Kassie is excited to be working in Southern West Virginia and looks forward to all the adventures ahead of her. You can follow her on Twitter at @KassieLSimmons and like her page on Facebook. If you have a story you think she should check out, send her an email at