Bluefield University experiences early morning electrical fire in residential hall

Bluefield, VA (WOAY) – Bluefield University experienced a fire in the Alumni Hall residential facility early this morning.  

Initial reports state a brick-and-block dorm behind the dome gymnasium experienced an electrical fire. 

Campus safety officials responded to the incident after calling 911 to keep the fire contained with extinguishers until authorities arrived. 

The fire was contained to one room. 

Four students were treated for smoke inhalation and released, requiring no further treatment. 

Once extinguished, electricity was turned off throughout the building. 

Students were allowed to go into the building to gather essential items and will be moving to a local hotel until the dorm reopens. 

The university states that once fire inspectors complete their reports, students whose rooms are not damaged will return to the dorm, while those with damaged rooms will be provided with new housing. 

Sponsored Content