West Virginia House OKs carbon monoxide detectors in schools

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) – West Virginia’s House of Delegates has passed a bill to require carbon monoxide detectors in all schools and daycare centers.

The 95-1 vote Friday comes two months after a carbon monoxide leak was detected in a rooftop heating unit for the cafeteria at a South Charleston elementary school. No one was injured in that leak, which prompted Kanawha County school officials to have 500 detectors installed in schools countywide.

Hancock County Republican Pat McGeehan cast the lone vote against the bill. Three House members did not vote.

The bill now goes before the state Senate.

Sponsored Content
Tyler Barker is currently the News Director and Digital Content Manager for WOAY-TV. He was promoted to this job in Mid-November. He still will fill in on weather from time to time. You can follow Tyler on Facebook and Twitter @wxtylerb. Have any news tips or weather questions? Email him at tbarker@woay.com