Lead Poisoning Leaves One Bald Eagle Dead And Another Sick

GREENBRIER COUNTY (WOAY)- Two bald eagles rescued Thursday, November 30th due to lead poisoning.

Both eagles with blood levels of lead toxicity over 65 micrograms per deciliter.

One was rescued in Caldwell in Greenbrier county, the other was from Alderson. The one from Alderson died.

The bird had not been shot but had ingested lead and had lead poisoning! His blood level was 65%, which for a child would have indicated an emergency room visit.

Apparently when they eat the carcass of deer killed during hunting season , they ingest lead.

The people that rescued him (Three Rivers Avian Center) said people need to start using copper shot instead.

Sponsored Content
Tyler Barker is currently the News Director and Digital Content Manager for WOAY-TV. He was promoted to this job in Mid-November. He still will fill in on weather from time to time. You can follow Tyler on Facebook and Twitter @wxtylerb. Have any news tips or weather questions? Email him at tbarker@woay.com