Four injured in Clay County house fire

MAYSEL, W.Va. (WCHS By: Anna Taylor) — Four people were injured after a house fire Friday morning in Clay County, WCHS reports.

The fire broke out about 5:40 a.m. in the 100 block of Maysel Laurel Ridge Road. Clay Volunteer Fire Department Chief Michael Scott said a family of nine lived in the home.

Scott said two children had smoke inhalation and two adults suffered burns. All four were transported to a nearby hospital. Everyone escaped the burning home.

Scott said he believes a space heater initiated the fire after something fell on or leaned against it.

A child woke up and smelled smoke, then alerted the rest of the family.

There were no fire alarms inside the home, Scott said.

Sponsored Content
Tyler Barker
Tyler Barker is currently the News Director and Digital Content Manager for WOAY-TV. He was promoted to this job in Mid-November. He still will fill in on weather from time to time. You can follow Tyler on Facebook and Twitter @wxtylerb. Have any news tips or weather questions? Email him at tbarker@woay.com