UPDATE: Child stuck with needle in Charleston McDonald’s bathroom

Update:

McDonald’s has released the following statement regarding the incident:

“The safety of restaurant guests is our top priority. We are looking into this situation, and are in full cooperation with authorities.”

– John Ebert, Operator

________________________________

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) — Charleston police say a 5-year-old girl accidentally stuck herself with a dirty syringe in a fast food restaurant over the weekend.

The incident happened Saturday at the McDonald’s on Washington Street East. The child was immediately taken to a local hospital to be checked out.

The opioid epidemic has made dirty needles commonplace, but police said this was the first incident that they were aware where a child had actually been stuck. The child picked it up near a trash can in the women’s restroom, Lt. Tony Hazelett said. Her mother was with her.

Sponsored Content
Tyler Barker
Tyler Barker is currently the News Director and Digital Content Manager for WOAY-TV. He was promoted to this job in Mid-November. He still will fill in on weather from time to time. You can follow Tyler on Facebook and Twitter @wxtylerb. Have any news tips or weather questions? Email him at tbarker@woay.com