Stormwatch

Stormwatch

Bradley garage fire may have started in space heater, first responders say

Local - 1/24/2014 9:10 PM by Karen Franklin
BRADLEY - First responders who helped save a garage Friday night in Raleigh County believe a space heater may have sparked the blaze.

Dispatchers said they got word of an explosion with smoke in the Bradley area around 6 p.m. on Maple Fork Road. The Bradley-Prosperity Fire Department, with the help of Pax, Mount Hope, Beaver and Mabscott departments, extinguished the garage fire and ventilated the structure.

The fire was deemed accidental, and homeowners who spoke with Newswatch off camera believe the fire did in fact start from a space heater left on while they worked on the car.

“There really is not much damage to the structure itself,” Asst. Chief Bobby Palmer. “The vehicle was heavily damaged. The building contents did receive a lot of smoke and water damage from the firefighting but other than that, there was really no damage to the structure itself.”

Firefighters credit a fast response time to saving the garage. They said it took only six to seven minutes for them to start working.


Community


Member Submitted