Stormwatch

Stormwatch

Mullens house fire burnt residence to the ground

Local - 12/21/2013 4:10 PM by Rachael Cardin

MULLENS - A house fire sent 3 people to the hospital and claimed the life of one family pet.

The Mullens and Pineville fire departments responded to a house fire Saturday morning at 308 Broadway Street in Mullens, just after 6 AM. Officials said a four year old was transported to Huntington Hospital to be treated for severe burns to her hands, while an infant and the father of the two children were brought to Raleigh General Hospital; also being treated for burn injuries.

Family members said they were able to rescue their pets from the burning house, but one dog ran back inside and was unable to be retrieved. The fire was so hot that it actually ignited 310 Broadway Street, only 12 feet away. Firefighters were able to save the neighboring house, but the original structure was completely lost in the fire.

"When you have a real cold spell and then it gets warm, people keep their stove hot or their heat turned up real high; and it overheats and basically that's what happens. This pretty much, this is what happens around this time every year. It seemed like this year we got hot and cold spells every 2 or 3 days... so most fires we've been to this year have been that way," said Officer William Cox of the Mullen's Fire Dept.

There were 10 people in the house and officials said its fortunate that all of them got out alive.


Community


Member Submitted