MONTCALM - Ten-year-old Tyler Breeden is a hero, and on Thursday his fellow classmates celebrated his quick thinking.
"He is a brave child," Montcalm Volunteer Fire Department Capt. Ruth Whitesel said. "He was brave that morning. He got up, he did not panic. He went and woke up his parents, he got them out safely."
Tyler's mother, father and brother can all thank him for escaping their Montcalm home when it went up in flames.
"I woke up, and I couldn't breath or nothing, so I went to the kitchen, and the room was on fire," Tyler told Newswatch.
"It was probably 1:30 that morning," his mother, Paulina Breeden, told WOAY. "He had gotten up screaming and hollering for me, and we walked into the dining room, and it was just full of smoke."
In honor of fire safety and prevention month, every student received a smoke detector to take home to their families. Tyler, who was all smiles, was recognized as a hero.
"Very glad," Paulina Breeden said. "Very glad. Very proud."
Tyler said his friends are very supportive.
"They say, 'Good job, buddy.'"
With the help of safety tips and their new smoke alarms, Montcalm's volunteer fire department is hoping other students will follow Tyler's example.
"If your home ever does catch on fire, the first thing you need to do is get out of that home," Whitesel said. "Get out of it and try and call 911."
Tyler also had some advice.
"If you ever go near fire, stay back so you don't get hurt," Tyler said. "Then call the fire department."