Fire damaged Matoaka home

Local - 10/22/2013 10:08 AM by Nadine Grimley
MATOAKA - A family of four was uninjured after they escaped a fire at their Mercer County home.

Dispatchers said the incident happened at 3:43 a.m. Tuesday morning at a house on Matoaka Road.  They said the Matoaka, Montcalm, and East River Volunteer Fire Departments all responded to the scene.

Matoaka Fire Chief Steven Sommers said the family was asleep when the fire started.  Sommers said the owner woke up because his eyes felt like they were burning, that's when he realized there was a fire and got his significant other and kids out of the house.

Sommers said he believed the fire started from a wood burning stove in the kitchen.  He said that the home is not liveable at this time, but some of the property is salvageable. 


Member Submitted