8/30/2013 4:45 PM
by Rebecca Turco
BECKLEY - A week-long festival for kids kicks off in Raleigh County Saturday.
Beckley's 20th Annual Kids Classic Festival starts Saturday with Autumn Fest at Lake Stephens from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Families can participate in a variety of games and activities. Vendors will also be on-hand.
Organizer Jill Moorefield of Beckley Renaissance said the festival is an inexpensive way for families to spend time together. "We just like to celebrate the children of our community and give families some affordable things to do," Moorefield explained.
The theme of this year's festival is West Virginia, in honor of the mountain state's sesquicentennial.
Below is a complete list of events:
- Aug. 31 - Autumn Fest at Lake Stephens includes various children's activities, booths, & more
- Sept. 1 - $1 off at Mountain State Mini-Golf
- Sept 2 - McManus Trail event - meet on the trail lot on 3rd Ave, 11 am, family walk or ride and meet WV heroes along the way
- Sept 3 - 7 - One free game of bowling and shoe rental for a child accompanied by an adult at Leisure Lanes on Johnstown Road
- Sept. 3 - Special family pricing at Marquee Cinemas
- Sept. 5 - Activities at the Raleigh County Library, 1 - 5 pm, family movie at 5:30 pm
- Sept. 6 - Baby Fair - Pretty baby contest, baby crawl, bounce house at Word Park, 11 am - 1 pm
- Sept. 6 - Activities at the Youth Museum & Mine, 6 pm; WVPBS characters, show at museum's amphitheatre (304-252-3730); Karaoke at the mine; mine tours; planetarium show at Youth Museum; New Exhibit: Young Architects; Inside museum activities & mine tours $5
- Sept 7 - Uptown Kids Fair, 10 am - 2 pm - United Games arcade, booths, food, Jr Firefighters Challenge ...
- 11 am - Parade (Theme: West Virginia)
- Following the parade: Greenbrier Girls Academy drum group at Shoemaker Square; School of Harmony bus on Main Street
- Sept 7 - Home Run Derby at Beckley Little League, 7 pm; Fireworks at 9 pm
- Sept 8 - Hamster Races & Pet Pageant at the Youth Museum, 1:30 PM