3/9/2013 6:30 PM
by Rebecca Turco
BEAVER - Local firefighters recommend you change the batteries on your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you change your clocks for Daylight Saving Time.
Richard Garten of the Beaver Volunteer Fire Department said detectors should also be tested monthly, at the least, to make sure they work. Two out of three fatal house fires nationwide are caused by faulty smoke detectors, he explained.
"You could be asleep at night and you'll never know that your house is on fire cause the smoke will overcome you during your sleep," Garten said. "And that's when most fatal house fires occur, is at night when people are sleeping."
Garten said those who cannot afford smoke detectors can contact their local fire department for assistance. If you live nearby Beaver, you can call the department at (304) 252-5824 if you need detectors. The elderly can also call the department for assistance with installation.