Stormwatch

Seven escape from home engulfed in flames

Local - 2/3/2013 5:13 PM by Karen Franklin
FAYETTEVILLE - Seven people and their pets escaped a fire that completely destroyed their home Sunday morning.

The Fayetteville Fire Department and Oak Hill Fire Department responded to Bennett Lane just after 7: 30 a.m. Officials said they could see the fire from miles away.

"Both Oak Hill and Fayetteville's first responding engines could see the smoke as they started at Gateway Road," Chief John Vernon told WOAY.

As many as 25 firemen, who arrived in four fire engines, were at the home fighting the blaze.

"The house is a total loss," Vernon said. "The initial call was it was fully involved, and the first units on the scene found fire pretty much in all the house."

The homeowners and firemen told WOAY they believe the fire may have started in the propane heating system.

Vernon urged people to maintain their heaters and have them checked and cleaned regularly.

Officials said there may be some salvageable belongings in the garage. The family is speaking with the American Red Cross and their insurance company.

Community


Member Submitted