How to Recycle Christmas Trees and Present Wrappings

Local - 12/26/2012 6:19 PM by Rebecca Turco
Now that Christmas presents are all unwrapped, many may be wondering how to properly dispose of leftover wrapping materials.

Some, but not all, of these materials can be recycled. Cardboard boxes can be recycled. Tissue paper, gift bags, and tin containers can not be recycled. Wrapping paper is usually not recyclable, so officials advice you to throw that in the trash. And any of these materials can, of course, be reused next year.

The Raleigh County Solid Waste Authority collects recycled materials in Raleigh County and most of Fayette County. Anyone living in other counties with questions on where to recycle, contact your local solid waste authority.

And solid waste authorities in southern West Virginia will be accepting live Christmas trees to be recycled. The Raleigh County Solid Waste Authority will recycle trees for free until the end of January.

List of Solid Waste Authority Contact Numbers in Southern West Virginia:
Raleigh County: (304) 255-9335
Fayette County: (304) 574-4210
Mercer County: (304) 425-2939
Greenbrier County: (304) 645-4232
Summers County: (304) 466-0695
McDowell County: (304) 436-6608
Monroe County: (304) 466-0695
Nicholas County: (304) 742-3518
Wyoming County: (304) 732-8000


Member Submitted