Stormwatch

Stormwatch

Feds say more mine explosion charges coming soon

Local - 10/11/2012 10:41 AM by AP
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin says the continuing probe of the Upper Big Branch mine disaster will soon produce more criminal charges.
    
Goodwin said Wednesday he expects to make some announcements shortly. The Charleston Gazette (http://bit.ly/STGCxs) says Goodwin offered no specifics.
    
His comments came at a meeting of a health and safety foundation created under a $200 settlement Goodwin's office reached with the mine's current owner, Virginia-based Alpha Natural Resources.
    
The April 2010 explosion killed 29 men.
    
Two criminal prosecutions so far have been directly linked to the blast.
    
Former superintendent Gary May awaits sentencing in January for conspiracy to defraud the federal government and is cooperating with prosecutors.
    
Ex-security chief Hughie Stover is appealing his conviction for lying to investigators and ordering a subordinate to destroy documents during the investigation.

Community


Member Submitted