Lashmeet teen saves family, pets from house fire

Local - 6/28/2014 8:37 PM by Karen Franklin
LASHMEET - A quick decision by a teenage boy saved the lives of his family during an early morning four-alarm fire in Mercer County Saturday.

Jonathan Denham, 16, was awoken when he smelled smoke in the upstairs of his Kinser Road home in Lashmeet. The Pikeview High School Junior told Newswatch he quickly exited a bedroom window and jumped onto a porch roof to get to the ground.

He proceeded to enter the front door to wake up his parents and sister, quickly leading them to safety.

Denham also saved four dogs, two cats and a bird. Firefighters on scene said the teen should be considered a hero.
"I just kind of got out, and I mean I didn't have to do anything too bad," the 16-year-old said. 

"So I mean, I'm sure it helped, but I wouldn't call it a 'hero deed' or anything."

The roof of the home was caved in and, its upstairs was destroyed. The cause has yet to be determined.


Member Submitted