BECKLEY – Two people are rescued from a burning home in Raleigh County Monday evening.
911 dispatchers say the fire started before 7:30 Monday at a home on the 400 block of Teel Road in Beckley.
Fire officials at the scene say they believe the fire started in the kitchen.
Two people lived in the home, Elsie Worley, 84, and Jack Reed, 79.
They were both rescued from the smoke-filled residence by a neighbor and a good samaritan.
Victim of the fire Bernie Worley says they are heroes.
“He came in the front door. Well, that front door's locked 99.9 percent of the time. Deadbolted. But it was unlocked. So the good lord was looking out for her.”
The men came in the house when it was already on fire. Worley says his mother and uncle were confused inside and trying to get out.
“He came in and mom told him that her brother was in there,” said Worley. “Whenever (the neighbor) got over to his house he said the guy was right behind him with my uncle... So he saved their lives.”