2/28/2014 9:15 AM
by Rebecca Turco
SCARBRO - A house caught fire in
Fayette County on Friday morning.
The fire started around 7:20 a.m.
Friday at a house on Scarbro Loop Road in Scarbro, according to Mount Hope Fire
Department Public Information Officer Mike Patrick. Oak Hill and Mount Hope Fire Departments responded
to the scene.
Firefighters found black smoke coming
out of the roof upon arrival, according to Patrick. He believes it appears to
be a heater-related fire since the exhaust stack was close to the source of the
Patrick urged homeowners to make sure
their chimneys are unobstructed and well away from flammable materials. “If a spark comes out the top, it
could easily ignite something flammable and you don't want to wake up on a cold
morning to a situation like this,” he explained. He said fire safety
procedures should be followed, especially on cold nights.
No one was home at the time of the fire. The exact cause of the fire remains